Friday, December 28, 2007

A Letter of Apology to Paul Supporters

This is a letter to the paper from local resident, Jeff, after my response to his first letter to the paper. I was very gratified by this letter. Jeff surprised me with his humility and his open-mindedness. Honestly, I had him figured from his first letter as closed-minded and arrogant, and was really responding to his first letter for the possible benefit of others, never dreaming that the ostensible recipient of my letter would re-think his position and even apologize for his hasty assumptions. Here it is:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to take this opportunity to apologize to Mr. J, his wife Candace, and any other Ron Paul supporters who took offense at my insinuation that they are not promoting Ron Paul's position on the Iraq war because it is difficult to face being labeled "anti-patriotic" or "against the soldiers." I was both unfair and wrong. Mr. and Mrs. J, as well as many other Ron Paul supporters, are taking a very courageous public stand in opposing this war, and I would like to applaud them for that.

Mr. J was right - I did not see his wife's first letter to the Star. I also appreciated Mr. J.'s very clearly articulated letter about where Ron Paul stands on the Iraq war, as well as detailing the policy failures of both major political parties on this issue. I certainly do not need to lecture Ron Paul or his supporters about American foreign policy.

In my letter, I argued for a position that we as citizens must compromise and support our government (and its policies and programs), because we "can't always get what we want." That isn't compromise - it's surrender. It is also immoral and unethical. We need to stand up and fight for what we believe, even in the face of an overwhelming majority; especially in the face of an overwhelming majority.

Being in the majority may give people a sense of security or belonging, but it doesn't necessarily give them the advantage of being right. Ron Paul's website ronpaulforpresident2008.com contains a quote from Sam Adams that states,
"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds."
This website contains what Ron Paul believes about many issues facing our nation today. Ron Paul's courageous stand on the Iraq war and on many other issues in the face of an overwhelming majority, and his supporter's eloquent presentations of his beliefs on the issues, has succeeded in lighting a fire in my mind. I'll also certainly be watching "Meet the PRess" this Sunday to find out more about Ron Paul.

I am certain that I do not agree with Ron Paul and his supporters on every issue, maybe not even most. I'm not convinced that Ron Paul will get my vote, or that he can win the election. But thanks to Mr. J's letter, and Ron Paul's integrity on many issues, I am at least willing to listen with an open mind now. I hope many others are willing to do the same.

I was wrong to vow never to vote for a Republican from texas, based on this nation's experience over the last seven years. Ron Paul cannot be lumped in with our current president, or any other GOP candidate for that matter. I know that Ron Paul will say what he truly believes and fight for it, and not simply advance some slick political message for the purpose of garnering the most votes. In this day and age, that is something worth taking note of.

Jeff S
Smallville

No comments: