Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Response from local resident to "Who is Ron Paul?"

This is the response in our local paper to my wife's letter, "Who is Ron Paul?":


Our thoughts on Ron Paul
Written by Betty and Paul
Thursday, 29 November 2007


I read with much interest Ms. Jacobson's glowing article about Ron Paul. I too was impressed with all of his qualities. I thought here is a man that stands for many of the things I stand for. That is, until I heard him speak on TV. He said he was against many of the same things I feel strongly about.

Then, he came to the part of his speech where he said he was against Social Security and Medicare. Whoa! Here's where I really paid attention. He says he would just do away with those programs. (I notice Ms. Jacobson left out that part.) He didn't say what would happen to the many elderly people in this country that depend on their monthly Social Security check to survive. Many of them have to decide when that check comes if they will have to cut back some on their food this month so they can heat their home, or maybe just not buy the medications they need for the month. Yet, Ron Paul says "just do away with those programs."

I'm sorry Ms. Jacobson, but I just can't call that "morally pure" to even be willing to take that away from the elderly.

To me, morally pure is someone who cares about people. Oh by the way, my husband and I are two of the people who live on our Social Security check. It isn't always easy to stretch that check to cover all the necessities either but we have to manage. (I doubt very much if Ron Paul has that problem, considering the fact he is a multi millionaire.) Ron Paul would take that away from us. This is not moral and no, this senior citizen will definitely not stand with you to vote for Ron Paul. I care about all the people and will vote for someone who cares about the poor and elderly of this nation and not just the wealthy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What Ron Paul has actually said about Social Security is that he wouldn't take it away from those who rely on it, but would offer young people an opportunity to opt out of the system.

The reason young people should opt out of the system is because they can get a better rate of return on their own investments.

If old people are concerned about not getting their Social Security, they should be concerned about Republican and Democrat presidential candidates who want to continue fighting this war and at the same time expand social spending, while already the government is trillions of dollars in debt and the dollar is in collapse. You may continue to receive your Soc Sec check, but when double digit inflation hits, it won't stretch as far. Note that Ron Paul is the only candidate who talks about inflation, its cause and its cure.